Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Haystack Cookies

I ran across a variety of recipes online for haystack cookies and couldn't help but wonder if my sister, Liddy, remembers just such a cookie from her childhood in Minnesota and Michigan (before I was merely a gleam in my mother's eye, as my late father used to say). Sure enough, she did. I think these no-bake goodies really took her back.

Haystack Cookies

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups rolled or instant oats
1 cup flaked coconut

Combine sugar, milk, butter, cocoa power and salt in a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Once the chocolate mixture has reached a rolling boil, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove mixture from pan and stir in vanilla, oats and coconut. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment or wax paper, working quickly. Allow cookies to cool completely before serving.

No comments: